-
April 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Last edited by LICORNE; April 30th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
-
April 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Marty on the Mountain
I tried unsuccessfully to get into that transmitter building many times during the 70s
and 80s when I was an avid backpacker. Their must have been Altec stuff in there.
You bring back lots of great memories of the best hiking in the east. It was traditional
for through hikers to moon the cog railway and try to get into the transmitter building.
The first successful the second not. What is your connection to the place?
-
April 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Marty on the Mountain

Originally Posted by
Art J.
What is your connection to the place?
In the early 60`s I drove up the mountain with my parents. I was amazed at the size of the old shingle buildind. That building can be seen in the back drop of Marty doing the weather.
I remember one building half way to the top held down by huge chains. We had to add water to the radiator on our way up And had to stop to cool down the brakes on our way down. The new structure is more in tune with what you see in the Alps. We had WMTW
on cable and you could get it with an antenna in some places.Never got to see the transmitters . It was very busy in those days.
Great adventure love every minute of it.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks